Sunday 23 March 2014

WRITING IS MY DISTINCTIVE TALENT- SADDIQ M DZUKOGI

Once in a while when a certain treasured tradition is felt to be drifting into oblivion, there comes a patriotic group of individuals who's loyalty to that tradition is unquenchable because it is forever ignited by consistency, passion, and the will of professionalism. Saddiq M. Dzukogi is undoubtedly one of those young poets
who have remained true to their art. Bearing the name Dzukogi is no coincidence, he is the son of the former Secretary General of The Association of Nigerian Authors B.M Dzukogi. A celebrated poet from his teenage years, he already has two poem collections to his credit each of which have won him awards and laurels even at the national level. He is currently Studying for his Bachelor's Degree in Mass Communication at the prestigious Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria. Here, he talks about family, marriage, his forthcoming publication, public expectations and also the prospect of being a father. Enjoy.


Q: So please in few words describe to us who Saddiq M Dzukogi is?

Saddiq is first of all a black man, then a poet, who finds his heart lustful over celestial beauty and majesty. I frown at the rot of the world, and the great injustice it sits on.

Q: Spoken like one who knows his ways with words..... The Dzukogi name is known to be legendary in the literary world, what was growing up and having to bare that much burden of expectations like?

Well I live my life free from the eyes of others. I don't really care what standards someone else have set for me, all I care about, is what standards I have set for myself. You cannot own yourself in the face of pressure, you cannot be yourself. Because each time you try to be what others expect you to be, you wouldn't get anywhere with that kind of pressure. I have, through my reclusive nature devised a means to get me past the expectant eyes of the public. I have built around myself in solitude, what my goals are, and I can say that I am trying to build a good legacy that can be associated with Saddiq first, before the Dzukogi.

Q: That has got to count for something..... Well you have made quite a unique mark in the world of poetry, is that the only genre of literature that you're specialized in or is there more to the bard's pen?

(Laughing) I am a fan of anything creative. But poetry is not the only form I express my creativity. I write prose too, particularly short stories. I am an essayist when I feel like it, I also have quotations and only do what my Dad calls "Filcreate Art".

Q: Mind breaking that down a little, what exactly is Filcreate art either in general terms or according to your father?

Filcreate art is basically sketches that originate from the subconscious artiste in you, which may not be understood, or consciously shaped by the conscious you, but is conjured from your depth and not necessarily meaningful, but beautiful.

Q: (Laughing) So in lay man's terms I can use the word 'packaging' as a synonymous term?

Random sketches that looks like distortions, but beautiful distortions. Maybe you need to see one, to understand it better.

Q: Maybe i do. So take us back to the yesterdays when you were put on the course to professional writing... How did it all start and how has the journey been so far?

Its simple; writing to me was a hobby, my gateway from the world if you like. I have been writing since primary school. Was published at 15. My second book, Canvas was out in 2011. It took my two books to realize this isn't just a hobby anymore, this is who I am, who I must become; a writer. It was my distinctive talent, and I have to start taking it seriously.


Q: I was privileges to go through your second book Canvas and I was really impressed by what I read... The depth-ful meaning born from simple and short expressions were a great thrill for me. How did you come about compiling that collection?

Hahah. This is always difficult for me, talking about my book. Well every poem of mine is a spirit that possess my body and afterwards I realize I was only a medium for the spirit to posses my paper.


Q: Well I'll say that should be about enough explanation to cover it. So taking achievements, awards, recognition, laurels, tell it all.

I am still growing. But my first few weeks in ABU, My poem 'little diamonds' was ajuged the best poem of the year, in 2009. I have won ASCAFS 3 times, I am a recipient of a national prize; the maiden edition of ANA/Mazariyya Teen Authorship prize for poetry in 2007. Canvas was first Runners up in the ANA poetry Prize in 2012. That's about what I can remember. I am also the Chairman of the Famous A.B.U creative Writers' Club for the 3rd time running. I have performed my poems at numerous literary fora, met Soyinka twice, Gabriel Okara, Nadine Gordimer and many more literary icons. I am still walking up the ladder but it is not prizes that motivate me, but the opportunity to have a lot of people, read my work.

Q: I'm sure those of us who have, found a lot to write home about. I gathered that you are married and will soon be a father; is that correct?

(Smiles) Yes it is as you have heard.

Q: I know you are an old man (Laughs) but our readers will definately call you young even from your youthful looks. So what is it like being a young husband and ofcourse what are the emotions running through you now as you are about to be a father?

It is a beautiful feeling, I don't invest in my phone as much as you do, don't stay out in the cold waiting for her, I have brought her home! (Laughing). Being a Father, it is an exciting prospect.

Q: (Smiles) You have won this battle brother, but not the war. Soon enough we'll be in your league; well hopefully sha. Now just a curious question, are you the only child in the Dzukogi family who have taken up writing as a profession as did your father or are there other writers besides yourself?

Amin oh, waiting for you to board the plane to my league (laughs). They will soon come of age, hopefully. I wouldn't be alone. But my little sister Zakiyya has an unpublished collection already. So yes, I am not alone.

the poet in action

Q: So are we to expect any new publication from you anytime soon?

Yes, oh yes! SUNBEAMS & SHADOWS will hit the shelves this month ending.





Q: Ok, this is the part where I shout " I can't wait to read it" but I'm going to maintain my calm. By the way who are your mentors?

I have a lot! Ahmed Maiwada, EE Sule, Unoma Azuah and many more that time and space wouldn't allow for me to mention.

Q: Normally I only do this when I feature a rapper but I'll make an exception of you. I want you to compose an octave for myself and the Campus vibes universe.. Make it a dedication to my great Campus Vibes readers. Choose any topic you want but maintain the theme...

Hahaha. I think it will be wise if you let it stick to the rappers, I think they are better at wraping a show up, so don't trap me here with your octave thingy, I think I will just take a bow to salute the verve of the campus vibe, I've got no talent with the MIC, so shout out to the best campus blog and blogger

Q: (LOL) well thanks for your time and is the last line of your last statement suppose to be a bribe?

Just take it to be a glass of water, given to a desert traveler.

Q: Well I can deny any of your qualities but never that which has to do with the skill of both spoken and written words. Thanks again for your time and we hope Madam delivers in good health!!!

Hehehe. Amin o. Thanks. It was a pleasure and goodbye.

That's about the size of it good folks and hope you enjoyed young Dzukogi's insights and philosophy. If you have any more question for our guest or would like to fly under his soaring wings you can always follow him on:
Twitter: @smdQue
BBM Pin: 7AE3B50E

Though the poet did not compose a poem for us right here, he was kind enough to share links to some of his works. So click on the links below to read:
MADIBA IS FREE AND FLOWERY TOWERS


Have a wonderful day ahead and expect more from our plates. Don't forget to like the facebook page and also follow me on twiiter.
facebook.com/campusvibeswithaswagz
@aswagz_

No comments:

Post a Comment